Select Page

So for the past two years I have had trouble sleeping. I was snoring a lot and was waking up a lot during the night. I wasn’t in a lot of pain, I was just uncomfortable sleeping but didn’t know why. When I was 2 ½ years old my pediatrician recommended my parents take me to an Ear Nose and Throat specialist. The specialist thought my tonsils were rather large but didn’t want to do anything about it until I was at least three years old.

After my 3rd Birthday, my mom took me back to the Ear Nose and Throat Specialist and again the Specialist thought my tonsils were rather enlarged and could be the cause of my lack of sleep. They call it sleep apnea where your breathing gets cut off and that was apparently waking me up. They scheduled a tonsillectomy for me on a Monday morning. One of the worst parts of this was that I could eat or drink anything past midnight the night before so it’s better if you can get in first thing in the morning. My appointment was for 7:30 am.

I was a little frightened that morning because I wasn’t sure what was going on. I had to put on this medical gown and lay in this bed, but my mom was with me most of the time. My doctor was there too and gave me her phone to distract me when they knocked me out and asked my mom to leave. I never felt anything but when I woke up, I was a little confused. My throat was sore but I didn’t know why.

The first couple of days were a little tough. I didn’t have much of an appetite and the only things I could eat were ice cream and yogurt. The ice cream is yummy but at some point you want to eat normal food. My dad was traveling for work that week and I really missed him so I think that made me even more sad.

When my dad came back to town that Thursday my mom said she was a little stir crazy and thought it might be a good idea to try and go out for dinner to see if I was ready for regular food. We went to one of our favorite restaurants, Amore, where the owners and staff are so great to me and my sister. I ordered spaghetti and meatballs and I ate everything! It was so great to finally have some real food.

I’m now sleeping through the night and waking up energized and well rested. What a difference not having my tonsils makes. I don’t even realize they’re gone and that’s the best part. It takes about 10 days to recover and feel like things are back to normal but it is well worth it because I hear it’s a lot tougher if you have to have the surgery when you are older. So don’t be scared if you need to have them out, there’s a reason they need to be out and you’ll be fine. And if you’re an ice cream fan like me, it’s the best excuse in the world to eat ice cream every day.